Picnic and Play Meals Begin Monday, June 6
We are excited to announce that our Picnic and Play service for summer meals will continue in 2022. Free meals will be available Monday-Friday starting Monday, June 6 and running through Friday, August 5.
Picnic and Play sites will be available at three locations throughout our community.
Windfield West Apartments – 11 am-12 pm
- 75 SE Windfield Pkwy, Waukee, IA 50263
Maple Grove Villas – 11:15 am-12:15 pm
- 8602 Westown Pkwy, West Des Moines, IA 50266
Sun Prairie Apartments – 11:30 am-12:30 pm
- 6137 Vista Dr, West Des Moines, IA 50266
** Waukee High School will not be a Picnic and Play site in 2022.
- Children must stay onsite to eat their meals. Grab and go meal service is no longer allowed. Please plan accordingly to allow time for your children to stay and enjoy their meals.
- Children must be present to pick up meals. Parents or caregivers cannot pick up for a child who is not with them.
- Breakfast meals will no longer be offered.
Our Picnic and Play locations will also be participating in the Farm to Summer Campaign. This year’s theme is Let Us Eat Lettuce. Locally grown lettuce will be served at our summer meal locations. Additional information will be coming soon.
Nutrition Note for 2022-23 School Year
As we look forward to the 2022-23 school year, there is a change coming to meal pricing in our schools. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government funded a program giving all students access to free meals at school. That program will not continue next school year. This decision means that all students will need to have an active and positive balance in their school meal account next year.
There has been a slight change to the application to the free and reduced meal program. The free and reduced meal application will be available the first week of August. All eligible families will be required to fill out this application, even if it has been filled out in previous years.
Please visit the Waukee Nutrition Services website for additional information.